In this time of economic uncertainty, the need to be secure in your job is generating a high level of anxiety for many people. One way to increase the chance that you will keep your job is to be recognised as someone who adds value above and beyond your peers. Here are 6 ways to be seen as adding value:
1. Increase revenue – Get more money into the business by selling more of your product of service. This isn’t easy in a struggling economy, but those that can ‘bring home the bacon’ in tough times will be seen as invaluable. It will also be a great discipline that will pay dividends when the economy recovers.
2. Increase profit – There are 2 ways to increase profit. The first is to increase revenue and the second is to reduce costs.
3. Communicate more – Being better informed is likely to increase your personal brand and make you a ‘go to’ person for information and guidance.
4. Provide creative ideas – When times are hard, innovation can often create break through opportunities. Hardship can also be a catalyst to creativity.
5. Assume more responsibility – Again this makes you the ‘go to’ person and increases the amount of information you have. Increasing your responsibility will also bring you into contact with your senior management, the very people who are likely to be assessing redundancy options. It is less easy for them to select someone who is clearly adding value and someone you know better than other nameless minions.
6. Spend more time with customers – They are going to be hurting in this climate too. By spending more time with your customers, you are likely to be able to continue to build your relationship and identify more sales opportunities.
Build value and you build your security and your future potential.
Dare to aspire